Tuesday 10 August 2010

O2 Customer Service and the iPhone4

I have been undecided on whether to get the iPhone4 or not, mainly due to everywhere being sold out of them before I can get to a shop. Why does work have the nasty habit of getting in the way of me getting gadgets? Anyway O2 called me last week stating they had some iPhone4's in stock if I was still wanted one. Now this is where the adventure begins...

During the initial call I decided I would have the phone and I decided on the right contract for me and it had to be an 18 month contract and not a 24 month contract. All the details were confirmed to me over the phone and it was clearly stated that I would be getting the 18 month contract I wanted. On Monday I received an email from O2 stating that I had taken out a new contract along with the details on how much I would pay and the duration of the contract. Now imagine my surprise when I saw they had me down for a 24 month contract?! I duly rang O2 customer services and asked them to rectify their error. I was promptly told that the only way for the contract to be changed was for me to refuse delivery of the phone, ensure that the phone was sent back to O2. Once the phone was returned I would then have to cancel the contract and take out a new contract which would be for 18 months. It is safe to say I was not a happy bunny.

Whilst at work today whiling away the hours before clocking off I received a phone call from the courier asking if I was home so that he could deliver my 2 parcels. I told him I wouldn't be home until after 6.30 - he agreed to call back then. However, he decided to sign for the parcel in the meantime to allow him to complete his round. This meant I was unable to refuse delivery of the phone. Now before someone points out that I should have told him this on the phone I am also waiting on another parcel and I was unsure which parcel this was so I wanted to check before refusing delivery.

Since I was unable to refuse delivery I then called O2 again and asked what I was to do. After being told I had effectively agreed to the contract by signing for the phone, although it is not my signature on the Proof of Delivery. After trying to talk through the various hoops I would have to jump through in order for my contract to be changed to an 18 month contract I was passed through to the Upgrade department. Here I was able to speak to the lovely Liz who informed me that I would not have to return the phone to O2 and nor would I have to cancel the contract. Liz was informed me that she would be able to change my contract over to the correct 18 month contract I had initially asked for.

Now I am free to enjoy the iPhone4 as long as the reception holds out...

3 comments:

  1. Glad to hear this got sorted in the end.

    For the benefit of anyone else reading this, whoever said that signing for the parcel means you've accepted the contract is wrong.

    The distance selling regulations give you a 7 day cooling off period within which you can cancel the contract and return the phone for a full refund should you not be satisfied for any reason. With a new phone and contract bundle the 7 days starts when the phone is delivered.

    O2 used to include a returns label for this very reason although I don't know if they still do. I had to return a Nokia N70 a few years ago because it couldn't get any signal where I used to live.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Returns labels are still provided as due course but the whole 7 day cooling off rights are waived when you buy out the existing contract from what I believe...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh did you take up the early upgrade offer? Part of the deal was agreeing to waive the cooling off period, presumably because the buy out was at a reduced rate.

    ReplyDelete